Monday, July 28, 2008

Our Poor Little Bowling Ball

Saturday night Cory and I had one of the scariest moments of our lives. It was time for dinner, and we had put Bailey on the floor to play with her play gym while we ate. Dinner progressed and we were in the cleaning up stage when we all heard a series of REALLY loud thumps, followed by Bailey screaming. Without anyone noticing, she had gotten to the edge of the basement staircase, and then rolled all of the way down. Though I couldn't see the stairs from where I was, it only took a second to figure out what had happened. Cory and Dave ran downstairs to get Bailey, but all I could do was stand still and cover my eyes...I had visions of a mangled six-month old at the bottom of the staircase! Bailey was screaming when Cory brought her up, and it was hard to tell how badly she was hurt. We took her to an urgent care center close by, where the doctor told us she was a lucky girl...she escaped her accident with only a scratch on top of her head. There weren't even any bruises on her body after rolling down the stairs like a bowling ball! We know we were lucky, and are thankful she wasn't seriously hurt.

The scratch on Bailey's head...not too bad, huh?

The staircase she rolled down. That is a LONG way for a little baby!

4 comments:

Quincy said...

I'm so sorry you all had to go through this, so so scary. Isn't amazing how a non-crawling baby can move around?! Our 6mo old has had her share of accidents, they are so resilient aren't they?

Michele said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad she is okay! Babies always surprise us with the things they can do and the messes they can get into. Luckily, they are tough little things who usually come out pretty unscathed.x

Clarissa said...

Holy smokes! SO glad she's alright. I bet there's a gate at the top of those stairs now.

Also, congrats with selling the house!!!

Christine said...

If it makes you feel better Carter rolled down our whole staircase just 2 days ago! I think it is a few steps shorter than that one, but fortunately he was fine after about a minute of crying! It was probably as scary for him as it was for me!